We're excited to introduce you to Annette from Lip Service Beauty, a small batch natural and planted-based cosmetic company based in Grimsby, ON. Enjoy!
1) What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- I love the creativity of creating my own products and I love the freedom of being able to spend my time how I choose.
2) If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- I would love to go to Bora Bora and stay in one of those cool huts over the water. I would be a total beach bum and take full advantage of that beautiful water by surfing or being on a SUP board all day!
3) What did you do before you started your business?
- I have been in retail for over 20 years and was lucky to land a corporate role at the age of 23. I specialized in visual merchandising for the first half of my career before stepping into a more senior leadership position. I held a district manager role for 4 years before making the leap to making lip service full time.
4) What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- Being nominated for outstanding new business in our community. The nominations are voted for by our customers so I was touched that we were in the running!
5) What's the last book you read?
- Dare to Lead, Brene Brown. She's my favourite author and I love how she speaks so powerfully to courage and vulnerability in leadership.
6) What's one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- Ingredients Matter. I believe this whole heartedly and is why I started making all natural cosmetics. I am so passionate about educating others on toxins that can be found in other cosmetics and how this can affect your health. There are also a lot of unethical ingredients being used in beauty products and this needs to be exposed so it can be stopped. I work really hard to build relationships with all of my suppliers to source all natural, high quality and ethical ingredients. I also source as locally as I can and have recently started infusing my own oils with flowers from my own garden.
7) What's the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- When I started being more aware of what products I was using, I became so frustrated not being able to find all natural cosmetics. This is why I began making my own and I quickly realized that others were looking for all natural options as well.
8) What's the biggest challenge you've overcome in your business?
- Scaling up has been tricky since I am only one person. When I started getting wholesale orders with 100+ quantities, I had to start being really smart with my production schedule. I now spend an hour at the beginning of each week ensuring everything is scheduled and accounted for. I have recruited a few helpers along the way that I can call on when I really need them. Next step is hiring steady production help.
9) When people shop from you, how does that impact you and your family?
- Every single time someone purchases one of my products, I cheer (sometimes in my head and sometimes out loud)! I feel proud to make a positive impact by having an all natural alternative. This impacts my family because they experience me at my best and happiest. It truly brings me so much joy to create and educate; I feel like I'm making a real difference.
10) Aside from your business, what's your biggest passion?
- I consider myself to be a wellness advocate and am passionate about living a wellness lifestyle. When I'm not working, you can find me on my yoga mat or stand up paddle board. I also love going on hikes with my dog and cooking healthy meals with locally grown produce from the farmers market. I believe all of the ingredients in your life also matter: the food you eat, the product you put on your body, the people you choose to surround yourself with and how you choose to spend your time.