We're excited to introduce you to Vicky, the owner of Little Blue Canoe based in Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. Little Blue Canoe is "an online shop that focuses on the work of amazing Canadian artisans, craftspeople and designers. It was built on a passion of drawing in Canadian makers to build on a true essence of being Canadian". Enjoy!
1. What does the perfect morning look like to you?
- Coffee, sunshine and a glass calm lake. We moved to a small lake in Nova Scotia in 2017 and life at the lake is so serene. The idea of waking up, sitting on the deck and sipping my coffee while looking out at the lake is pure serenity. Not an email in sight, and maybe even an opportunity to go for a surf later that day!
2. What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- My favourite thing about owning a small business is simple - I love being able to meet so many different people from all across the country brought together by our love of handmade items. I have always loved to shop small, so it just felt right to take over Little Blue Canoe when it was about to close last year. It always amazes me to see all of the beautiful work that comes right from our own backdoor. Canadian makers really are incredible!
3. What did you do before you started your business?
- Before I took over Little Blue Canoe I worked as a nurse in the operating room - and after taking over Little Blue Canoe, I still work as a nurse in the operating room! Having the flexibility of an online business is so great to allow me to continue to work as a nurse as well as pursue and grow my shop. It is so refreshing to be able to have two jobs that can work both sides of my brain. It's all about balance 🙂
4. What's one thing people might not know about you?
- One thing people may not know about me hmmm... My boyfriend is the real reason I was introduced to Little Blue Canoe! It's true! I moved to Nova Scotia from Calgary to be with him (he is in the military) and I had a love for Coal and Canary candles. He scoured the internet looking for a candle to buy me as a gift when I first moved and stumbled upon Little Blue Canoe! That chance find then sparked a love of "The Happiest Collection" and started us on the journey to where we are now. If it weren't for him buying me that first candle, receiving the cutest hand written notecard, and the topper - the extra FREE pizza wrapping paper that he received with his order, maybe I wouldn't be where I am today!
5. What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- Honestly, the proudest moment I have felt in my business so far is just taking the plunge to own a small business. It is something that I have always wanted but seemed so overwhelming. Last August I went on a limb and reached out to Kelly (the previous owner of Little Blue Canoe), as just this past customer who also had a love of Canadian made goods, no experience, and a dream. I thank my lucky stars everyday that she saw something in me, maybe even something that I didn't fully see in myself, and took a chance on me. The canoe floats on and am beyond grateful to be trusted at the helm.
6. What makes you laugh the most?
- This may be slightly embarrassing but... gameshow bloopers! If I am in a bad mood, toss on bloopers. Even in the most sour mood, I'll be in stitches. You can ask my boyfriend - it's true. Any year, all types of gameshows. Just YouTube it, some of those old Family Feud bloopers will get ya.
7. What would you sing at Karaoke night?
- This is easy. Celine Dion - All Coming Back to Me. In 2015, I spent 3 weeks in Japan visiting my brother who was living there at the time, and karaoke became a huge part of our trip. A night out in Sapporo included - sushi, glow in the dark bowling, and karaoke! We all had our go to songs, and this one was mine... embarassing? Maybe!
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Honestly, I don't really know where I will physically live in 5 years and I am totally OK with that. As a military spouse, this means that I could end up anywhere.... Anywhere. How crazy is that? We could still live in Nova Scotia, maybe move to Comox, BC - any part of Canada could be an option! I do know that no matter where I am, I want Little Blue Canoe to be with me. The beauty of owning an online business means that it can go and grow with me, wherever that may be.
9. What's one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- In my business, I value Canadian made most. Being able to support Canadian makers, as well as ethiically sourced items is so important not only to my business but to the world as a whole. Little Blue Canoe is anchored in it’s enthusiasm for the people, products, and the country we represent.
10. How would your friends describe you?
- Hi! Friend here, Vicky is an incredibly driven person with a very keen eye for detail, especially when it comes to fashion or design. She is very passionate with everything she is involved in and makes her goals and projects very much a part of her. However, she still takes the time to relax by scratching the travel itch, going on day trips, hitting the beach, or simply relaxing at the lake with the important people and pup in her life.