We're excited to introduce you to Rola, the owner behind Montreal based business Choulala Box, a curated selection of kids fashion from ethical brands packaged up in the BLAST™ method for easy wardrobe selection. This method teaches kids (and parents) that fashion should be eco-friendly and sustainable but also fun! We hope you enjoy getting to know her a little more!
What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- My favourite thing about owning this small business is the flexibility it gives me in my schedule that allows me to be there for my kids school picks up and drop offs daily. I also absolutely love seeing customers in our clothes and having parents share with me how they've been able to apply our BLAST™method to empower their kids to self-dress.
What did you do before you started your business?
- I was a pharmaceutical marketing executive travelling the world for conferences with physicians and helping to bring to market innovative products to advance patient care.
What's the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- Simplifying morning routines for the family by fostering independence in kids young and getting them self-motivated to do things on their own while flourishing in confidence. At the singular level this is also our impact to a more Eco-friendly fashion mindset where we teach that fashion needs not be complicated but basic to five categories and that can easily be mixed and matched, transitioning from one season to the next.
What's one thing people might not know about you?
- Huge introvert, Huge homebody. People always assume by my ability to socialize that I love to be in social settings all the time but in fact I LOVE quiet time in my jammies at home with my family.
What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- Being featured in some of the most prestigious magazine editorials for the mission that we serve of empowering kids young to self-dress to self-express.
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- Space, cosmos, the universe. I think seeing planet Earth from that birds eye view would just be magnificent and none like it.
What's your favourite holiday and why?
- I am totally obsessed with Halloween. It's a time you can get super silly and creative. The icing on the cake for me is that it is also a reminder of the day my daughter started to make her journey to be with us!
How would your friends describe you?
- Huge passion with Huge courage. I left a lucrative pharmaceutical marketing career because the passion in it for me died after having my second, realizing that I wanted to be there for both my kids and all their extracurricular activities and school bus drops pick ups and drop offs. I had just come off my second maternity leave, having completed my Executive MBA and was so charged to bring to market an innovative concept that could help simplify the long list of things to do that working moms have to deal with, at the same time empower and inspire kids as young as 2 years of age.
What's the biggest challenge you've overcome in your business?
- The biggest challenge that I've overcome in my business was a mindset shift that I had to trust my gut over what 'experts' advised me to do. Despite my marketing background, I thought that if hired 'experts' off the bat that they'd do a better job than me to tell my story and why Choulala Box came to be. With time I realized that no one can tell my story better than I and that I should've trusted my gut and put myself out there more.
Aside from your business, what's your biggest passion?
- My kids. It is such a cliche as a mom but I am totally obsessed with these little people that have taken such a huge space in my heart. They keep me on my toes physically but also mentally. I am amazed how my greatest life teachers come in a size toddler! It's such a blessing and I am so fortunate to have two of them.
We hope you enjoyed getting to know Rola from Choulala Box as much as we did! Check out her website to learn more about the BLAST™ method to simplify wardrobe selection and bring back the fun to this everyday task.
To learn more about other Canadian business owners, check out our full 'Behind The Biz' blog series here.