We're excited to introduce you to Yandy, the owner behind Thoughtfully Handmade, an online store offering handmade cards, gift tags and bookmarks based in Toronto, ON. We hope you enjoy getting to know her and her business a little more!
What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- I love having a flexible schedule! As a full-time university student, finding a part-time job that fits my busy timetable is very hard. Since I'm my own boss, I have full control over when I work, when I study and when I relax.
What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- My proudest moment was last year at the Trinity Bellwoods Flea Christmas Sale. For the first time since I started selling at markets, I made more than the vending fee that I paid. It solidified my drive to continue Thoughtfully Handmade!
What's one thing people might not know about you?
- One thing people are surprised by is the insane amount of hair bows that I own. I will wear one almost every day, and it's become a part of my identity.
What's your favourite holiday and why?
- My favourite holiday has to be Christmas even though I'm not Christian. I just love the festive atmosphere and the goodwill that the holiday brings. It's also the season where my cards sell the most, so there is that!
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- In five years, I will have obtained my honours bachelor of arts degree from the University of Toronto and have started law school. I will also somehow be continuing Thoughtfully Handmade. Hopefully, I can hire some employees by then to do most of the grunt work for me, so all I have to do is make cards. 'Tis the dream, am I right?
What's one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- Thoughtfully Handmade started because of my love for gift-giving. I love how through my business, I can give back to my community by donating 10 cents from each card, bookmark or gift tag set that is sold to Toronto Environmental Alliance. Spreading positivity and helping others do that is one of the most essential pillars of Thoughtfully Handmade.
What's the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- There is always a situation where it would be inappropriate, but you don't know that person well enough to give them something that they will like. Instead of just giving a Tim Hortons gift card, they can put it in a greeting card and write a personal message inside. My handmade cards add an extra level of thoughtfulness. When you receive a greeting card from the dollar store, you feel unimportant and that the gift-giver didn't put a lot of effort into their gift. When you receive a handmade greeting card, the present seems more thoughtful and genuine even though you're still giving them a greeting card with a gift card inside.
Aside from your business, what's your biggest passion?
- My biggest passion is helping others. It's part of why I started Thoughtfully Handmade, and it's why I want to be a lawyer (specifically a Crown Attorney).