In our latest Behind The Biz blog series, we interviewed Fanny, the owner of Evrday, a 100% Canadian and eco-friendly women's clothing company, based in Montreal, QC. We loved learning more about her brand values and her commitment to sustainable fashion. We hope you enjoy getting to know her and her business a little more!
What 3 words best describe your business?
- Trust, People and Planet. We design from scratch, we produce 100% of our clothes here in Montreal using the best eco-friendly fabric. On top of that, we have a sustainable process for A to Z because we have NO CHOICE for our future. Plus, we have the chance to be a "direct to customer" brand so we can talk directly with people. From the owner to the client, and this is very important for me. The day that I will not be able to do that, I'll close shop!
What did you do before you started your business?
- Actually, I still have my full time job in parallel of my business. Am I crazy? Yep.The thing is, I love science and creativity equally. So, I studied biochemistry at University of Montreal. After, I worked couple years as a laboratory analyst. Now? I'm a Continuous improvement specialist and I love to work to improve process and to manage operational excellence projects. I choose to create Evrday because it's a kind of continuous improvement of fast fashion. When I was young, I had a dream to create clothes but I would not do it if it's not to change the actual problem that fast fashion created... Cheers!
Any embarrassing moments you'd like to share with us?
- I remember my fist day of college, I was full of confidence and I walked the whole campus showing off my new school bag. Then I saw my best friend and she said to me: Can you turn around? immediately she took off a pair of underwear that was stuck to my bag. This is the kind of thing that happen regulary in my life hahaha
What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- The proudest moment about Evrdy was the photoshoot that I organized to do pictures for my website. It was classic white background pictures and there was 5 female models, one "behind the scene" photographer and a principal photographer. I remember I saw all those wonderful women wearing Evrday clothes and I had a moment!!! More of that, the principal photographer was my best friend (yes the same that removed my underwear from my bag at college!!). It was an amazing day, I'm blessed.
What makes you laugh the most?
- There is no way that I will pass a day without laughing!!! I'm the kind of girl that can laugh alone in front of a 10 minutes fails compilation.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- If someone told me 5 years ago that I will be where I am right now, for sure I would have said sh#! up to that person! I will do everything I can to say exactly the same thing in 5 years.
What's one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- People. I would say sustainability, but without taking care of people we can't think about sustainability. As a client for some brands, I don't know a brand that really talks directly to their customer. I want to change that. I want to know what type of clothes our community wants, what they like and what they don't.
What would you sing at Karaoke night?
- In the End - Linkin Park
What's the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- We design everything, so it's not just a drop shipping brand that buys cheap clothes in another country and sells it here. We create clothes here, we try it, we modified it, we create it again, then test it again. We have the lead, it's our design so we can improve it anytime. We hope that the biggest problem we solve for people is comfort of the fit and access to evrday clothes made of sustainable fabric.