We're excited to introduce you to Alayne, the owner behind Apostle Boutique, which offers a finely-curated collection of high-quality, feminine, and versatile jewelry (based in Calgary, AB). We hope you enjoy getting to know her and her business a little more. Here we go - Behind The Biz with Apostle Boutique!
What does the perfect morning look like to you?
- I love to wake up before the kids and get in time on the treadmill, have coffee in the quiet, and get some work done before the day begins with the kids.
What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- Every day I get to do something that I love and am passionate about. I built Apostle Boutique from the ground up and continue to shape it and make it more than just a jewelry store. It is a place for women to discover that their style is more than what they wear, it encompasses all that they are, and what they wear is just a reflection of that story.
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- My top 3 spots to explore: Thailand, Greece and Turkey.
What 3 words best describe your business?
- Personal. Versatile. Style.
What did you do before you started your business?
- So many things!! Immediately before starting Apostle, I had my 2 sons, and when the youngest was 6 months (and I was past my post-partum depression) I decided it was time to do something that was about the things I loved. Before kids...well, I was searching, for a long time. I did B2B sales, interior decorating, boutique sales, merchandising, worked at our church, advertising... But the most impactful for me, was working at a high-end boutique. I learned the most about my passion there.
What's one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- Personalized service to every customer. Being an online shop, I often miss out on that personal contact, and to me that's a big deal. I want every single client to know that they are seen, valued and cared for.
What makes you laugh the most?
- My husband. He and I have a lot of fun together and truly laugh every day. Nothing beats getting the giggles (you know the kind- something dumb set you off, but then you just can't seem to stop).
What's your favourite holiday and why?
- I love everything about Christmas. Being crazy busy seeing family & friends, the school plays, crafts, shopping for gifts, wrapping presents, the parties, and just the overall feeling that seems to surround that time of year.
What's the last book you read?
- I love to read and it's how I calm my brain at the end of each day. The last book I finished was Dragon Springs Road.
How would your friends describe you?
- My closest friends would describe me as loyal, fun (with a side of bratty), and possibly something about my love for candy, Oreos, blizzards and/or cereal.