Three women, Nargis, Nadia and Simra, from three generations came together to start their business, The Jewelry Palette (based in Oakville, ON). We asked this grandmother-mother-daughter business trio some questions about their business partnership, what it’s really like working together as a family business and any tips they have for other families wanting to work together. Enjoy!
How did your business come together? Share a bit about your start in business.
- We have always admired the natural beauty of pearls and gemstones. It all started with wanting to make a simple coin pearl bracelet in the color combination of our choice. My daughter, Simra, dug out videos on Youtube about how to make it and my mom, Nargis, made an initial sketch of the design. I put everything together and our first piece was ready! Our friends and family fell in love with the pieces we were starting to wear and soon we found ourselves ordering more material, making more designs and working on our website. After six months of hard work, we launched “The Jewelry Palette” on November 13, 2019.
Why did you decide to work together?
- All three of us were in it from the very beginning, supporting and inspiring each other. Simra’s youthful input and drive is like a breath of fresh air for us which always gives a refreshing aspect to every project and Nargis adds valuable advice and a touch of perfection that only comes with age and experience. After some time, we realized that each of us had a particular specialty and very soon, we all became indispensable for each other.
What’s one thing that contributes to your success as a Grandmother-Mother-Daughter duo?
- I think that the most significant thing that contributes to our success is our ability to understand and support each other in any situation.
What’s your favourite moment working together so far?
- There was a day when were still in the initial phases of our business and the first batch of material that we had ordered arrived all together. The excitement that we experienced at that time was unparalleled to any other along with the incredible outpouring of ideas just looking at everything! It was a fond moment indeed and definitely the most memorable one ever.
What advice do you have for other Mother-Daughter business partners? Is this something you would recommend?
- I think that working with your mom/daughter or both is a great idea because understanding and support between these relations can be the basis for building a successful business partnership and working together successfully as a team. I also think that each generation contributes different types of insights and experiences and each is invaluable in their own way. And the best thing about the three of us working together is that we have evolved together and the bond that we share is now stronger than ever!
Mother – Share your favourite thing about working with your daughter:
- My favorite thing about working with my daughter is her incredible ability to learn and the cheerfulness with which she does it! It never ceases to amaze me how much she loves taking responsibility, at times happily contributing most of her free time to our work however tedious it may be sometimes. She handles the back end of our business, loves making chains and pretty bracelets and models for us too!
Daughter – Share your favourite thing about working with your Mother:
- My favorite thing about working with my mother is the calmness and stability she immediately brings to any situation however difficult it may be. She’s always there, working with us from day to night at times, designing jewelry, picking out the perfect pearls, helping with photography, giving invaluable advice and doing so much more!
We hope you enjoyed getting to know this amazing grandmother-mother-daughter business trio and Canadian shop. You can check out their full jewelry line here.