We're excited to introduce you to Melissa, the owner behind Canadian business Heirloom Carrier. Heirloom Carrier is an eco-conscious, luxury baby carrier brand designed and produced in Vancouver, BC.
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- Being passionate about what you do. If you don't have passion, you won't have the drive to see your business through all of the ups and downs.
What's one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- I make lists of what needs to be done! Something small, but it definitely helps me.
What is your favourite productivity tip?
- To set time aside for the task at hand. I often have so many thoughts in my head and things to get done, that it can be tough to focus on just one thing. I write down the tasks I have and then focus on each one individually.
What inspired you to start your business?
- My babies! I was on maternity leave with my second child and wanted an intentionally-made baby carrier. My must-haves included ethical standards, made locally and I just couldn't find it, so I took matters into my own hands. My business name is “Heirloom Carrier” as a reminder that there are so many memories attached to babywearing and mothering, and that it’s important to hold on to them and pass them down.
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- My husband and I both work full-time jobs, and we have one daughter in kindergarten, and one in daycare, so our morning routine consists of eating breakfast, brushing teeth, doing everyone's hair, getting dressed, and making it out the door on time, in one piece. It's a little mad, but we manage to get through it.
How do you relax and recharge?
- I love to write poetry and journal. When I get the time to do that, I feel much more in tune with myself and my goals.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- To keep a positive headspace and move forward one day at a time. I also believe in lifting others up, as I think it comes back to you in one way or another.
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- I try to count my blessings! I have a beautiful family to call my own, and I know that that's the most important thing.