We’re excited to introduce you to Canadian business owner Natasha from Bundle Of Joy Box based in Spruce Grove, Alberta. Bundle of Joy Box is primarily a pregnancy and postpartum subscription box, connecting Canadian families to Canadian makers.
Shop local in spruce Grove with Bundle Of Joy Box
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE #1 THING IT TAKES TO BE SUCCESSFUL?
- Keep moving forward. Some days will be slow, use those days to plan your next big thing; marketing patterns, networking opportunities and self care.
WHAT’S ONE THING YOU DO EVERYDAY THAT CONTRIBUTES TO YOUR SUCCESS?
- I plan each day loosely, creating a top 5 or 3 things that I want to accomplish daily, and I get those done first. Sometimes it’s a small thing like catching up on emails, other days it includes bigger things, but everyday I have a general plan.
WHAT’S ONE BOOK THAT’S CONTRIBUTED TO YOUR BUSINESS SUCCESS?
- I recently joined Womanition in the Edmonton area, and one of the mentors is Nicki Chang-Powless. I’ve just started it, but her book Your Survival Guide to the First Five Years in Business is giving me tons of focus.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PRODUCTIVITY TIP?
- I enjoy setting time limits on things needing to be done. When I’m looking at my daily list, I give each item and approximate time, and once the time is up, I take a break or move on to the next thing. I find doing it this way keeps my head fresh and I don’t become too bogged down on one thing.
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START YOUR BUSINESS?
- I’ve been a birth doula for over 15 years, and I’ve often had families ask about the best products for their little ones and self during pregnancy. Many families are also switching to Canadian made and low waste products, and finding those particular items can be tricky. When my oldest daughter and business partner was pregnant in 2019, we spent a good deal of time testing and trying to find a convenient way to access the many beneficial products there are. We were actually looking for a subscription service for her pregnancy, and didn’t find a Canadian one that fit the bill. We realized we weren’t the only family wanting this service, and we took the leap into creating it ourselves.
DO YOU HAVE A MORNING ROUTINE THAT YOU SWEAR BY? WHAT IS IT AND WHY DOES IT CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR SUCCESS?
- I work from home, so I try to maintain an “I’m going to work” attitude everyday; get dressed (no working in PJs), keep normal-ish office hours, etc. I find doing these little things keeps me more productive. Once I’m in the office I close the door and focus on the business. When I leave the office I’m back in home mode. It also really helps to keep boundaries between work and home life, as any small business owner knows, the two can mix quite easily.
DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE BUSINESS PODCAST? WHY DO YOU LOVE IT?
- I’ve really enjoyed She Can SEO by Emily Fontes. Local to Edmonton area I also follow YEGWriter and the new one YEG Hustle. I find listening to local business owners really helps to connect with others in the area, and keep perspective on what’s happening in the current economic climate.
HOW DO YOU RELAX AND RECHARGE?
- I really enjoy taking time to sit in the sun, dig in the dirt and play games with my kids. I may like to keep a basic schedule daily, but on days when I just can’t focus or move past a business roadblock, I get up from my desk, leave the office and find one of my kids to connect with. Quite often after doing this, when I do go back to the project, I have a much clearer mind.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE JUST STARTING OUT IN BUSINESS?
- For anyone starting out in business right now, I’d suggest researching your area and target market. We spent a great deal of time doing just that prior to starting and it really helps for focusing on where to market and who to network with in our business.
HOW DO YOU MAINTAIN A POSITIVE MINDSET IN BUSINESS AND LIFE WHEN THOSE INEVITABLE CHALLENGES ARISE?
- We launched during a global pandemic, so we’ve constantly had to re evaluate our direction and basic plan. What’s helped us during this time is to keep focused on the end goal, the next opportunity to make a difference. We believe in our business, we know we have a good product, so we have just kept putting one foot in front of the other and have kept moving.
Thank you so much to Natasha for sharing some of her greatest success tips and general business advice. What an inspiration for us all!
To learn more about her business and her subscription boxes, check out her website.