Are you looking for local Edmonton shops to support? You’re in luck! You can shop local in Edmonton with Siempre Eco. We’re excited to introduce you to Rabia, the owner behind Siempre Eco. Siempre Eco offers affordable, eco-friendly kitchen and bath products to encourage sustainable living.
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- A growth mindset.
What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- I remind myself that I am not one to be compared to anyone else. Every entrepreneur is on their own journey.
What is your favourite productivity tip?
- Don’t work during your meals!
What inspired you to start your business?
- I was watching TV one day when my mom told me that we need to get new beeswax wraps. Normally, I would simply place an order on Amazon but as a fresh graduate cruising through the pandemic, I had some time to think over that decision. I didn’t want to spend $30 on mainstream beeswax wraps even though I knew it was a good investment. I also wanted more prints and colourful wraps so I decided to adopt a summer project. I experimented on many of my father’s old cotton shirts and miserably failed. It took a lot of research, trial and error and 2 whole weeks to come up with low cost beeswax wraps that perform just as well if not better. That pushed me to experiment with bath salts too! Long story short, I have now decided to pursue this full time and want to help others out there get access to more sustainable and plastic free kitchens!
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- I need my chai. Every morning. I would be lying if I said it doesn’t set the day for me. A simple cup of Pakistani chai infused with 4 cardamom pods and a pinch of saffron. It really helps me be productive because it’s almost a treat to all my senses. I feel it’s warmth and flavours fill me up putting me in the “zone” each time.
Do you have a favourite business podcast? Why do you love it?
- The Product Boss Podcast – It’s real, no sugar coating and the information is precise!
How do you relax and recharge?
- I usually like to listen to top 50 in the charts or engross myself in different foods.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- Be patient. I know that can be hard sometimes. But take all the time you need – especially during the pre-launch phase! That is something I didn’t do and I found myself working round the clock and sometimes on the fly. You don’t want that all the time.
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- As I mentioned before, it is very easy to look around you and see all other small business owners posting amazing content and thanking customers for their support. Being on the other side, especially during the first few months is quite disheartening but you have to keep reminding yourself to persevere. All things take time and whenever I find myself going down the negative rabbit hole, I make a conscious effort to count my blessings and write a list of all the things I am grateful for since starting my company.