If you’re looking to shop local and support Toronto businesses, you’re in the right place. We’re excited to introduce you to Ruwa, the owner of local Toronto shop NoirxCollection. NoirxCollection is a “unique jewelry and clothing brand created to remind us of what’s important to us, whether it be an activism cause for people of colour or a nice reminder to have faith and be patient”. We asked Ruwa a few questions about her journey as an entrepreneur so far and know you’re going to love all that she has to share. Enjoy!
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- I’ve been pursuing business for about 10 years this year and I’ve learned the most important part of being successful is consistency and taking the lessons good and bad. There will always be trials and failures and that’s okay but if you quit or stop every once in a while you’ll just delay your own success and the lessons you need so you can move to the next level of your learning and escalate your business.
What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- I have a notebook dedicated to just writing what each productive act I’ve done in each day to move me toward my goal for the year. This has been pivotal in my growth because I’ve learned my patterns and I know when I’m slacking and I get it together quick because I’m holding myself accountable every day!
What’s one book that’s contributed to your business success?
- Get your sh*t together by Sarah Knight.
What is your favourite productivity tip?
- Creating vision boards! This is such an underrated habit that’s so important to motivate you. I create a new vision board each year often with similar items and I keep them all to remind me what I wanted and what I manifested and what I can still manifest when I put in more work.
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- My morning routine consists of waking up and pulling out my accountability book and checking what my quotas for the day are. While still laying in my bed I start to read my daily affirmations to remind me I can conquer the day. Then I get up and get my day started and I only listen to music that motivates me in the morning drive.
Do you have a favourite business podcast? Why do you love it?
- I enjoy listening to Kobe Bryant’s interviews because he has a system for his success principles if you listen consistently enough.
How do you relax and recharge?
- I strongly believe in balance, when I work I’m all in but when I need to relax I turn my phone off and go on a trail walk in my neighbourhood to be present in nature and clear my mind.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- If you’re just starting a business and your nervous my advice to you is just start! It doesn’t have to be perfect you just have to start. Remember that your business will never be where you started because you’re always evolving and adjusting.
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- Sometimes it’s hard to maintain a positive mindset but I think when you make sure you only consume music that makes you feel like you can then the positive attitude sticks around a lot longer. I believe in being very aware of what you consume in your mind.