We’re excited to introduce you to Kate, the owner behind Canadian business Rally & Roots. Rally & Roots (based in Toronto, ON) creates hand painted and hand stamped clay planters, with your favourite plant puns and sweet quotes.
CANADIAN BUSINESS RALLY & ROOTS
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- Enjoying the process. If you’re too focused on the outcome or profits, it’s easily to lose your drive and love for what you do. As long as you enjoy what you do every day, that love will exude into your work.
What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- Taking time for myself. My best ideas, thoughts and motivation come from an hour of non-work time every day.
What’s one book that’s contributed to your business success?
- Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert.
What is your favourite productivity tip?
- Set a timer. Sometimes when I reeeeally don’t want to do something, but have to (I.e. bookkeeping yuck!), I’ll set a timer for 30 minutes. It helps me focus, and I know it has an end time.
What inspired you to start your business?
- I really just wanted a creative outlet. I was working a full-time job that had zero creativity in it and needed someplace I could pour my heart into. This business started as a side project and has turned into my full-time career!
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- Being a morning person who has the most energy in the early hours of the day, I always start my day with a nice hot cup of coffee (never iced, thanks!) and an hour long walk with my dog. I’ve skipped this routine before and jumped right into work, and those are the days I find myself burnt out by 2:00pm and unmotivated. Taking the first hour or so each morning to connect with the day and myself is a game changer.
Do you have a favourite business podcast? Why do you love it?
- The Goal Digger Podcast by Jenna Kutcher. Her topics are varied, unique and really helpful. I’ve always liked her tone and personality and never get tired of her content!
How do you relax and recharge?
- Long walks with the dog are my favourite way to recharge. Taking breaks when you’re an entrepreneur is soooo vital to keeping sane.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- Do it because you love it. If you’re in it solely to make money, the drive and passion fizzles out. Starting a business is HARD WORK and takes a lot of time. It’s only worth it if you love what you do!
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- My life motto is also my business motto: Everything happens exactly as it’s meant to be. When challenges arise in business, I take them as learning curves and know they have come to me for a reason. It’s not always easy, but everything always works out somehow!