We're excited to introduce you to and let you get to know local Toronto shop Baarden. Baarden is a premium handcrafted, small-batch beard care company. We asked Adam, the owner behind Baarden, a few questions about him and his business and had fun getting to know him a little better. Hope you enjoy!
Get to know local Toronto shop Baarden
1) What does the perfect morning look like to you?
- It's raining but warm, so I can comfortably sit outside on my balcony and enjoy the smells and sounds while enjoying a locally roasted coffee in my favourite mug.
2) What's your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- Everything that I create is from my own mind and made with my own hands, which means that I have full control of the customer experience. The feeling that I get when I see a photo of someone enjoying my products and the joy I get when reading an email from a satisfied customer is indescribably rewarding.
3) What 3 words best describe your business?
- Treat. Your. Beard.
4) What's your proudest moment in your business so far?
- The first time I received a second order from a customer was one of the proudest moments in my business. It told me that people actually enjoyed what I was bringing to the table and it was so encouraging and validating.
5) What would you sing at Karaoke night?
- A big bearded man singing the entirety of Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion isn't weird, right? Gotta support Canadian artists.
6) What's your favourite family tradition?
- A tradition we started, just last year, was a week long cottage trip for my entire family. Growing up, this was not something we were able to do, and so having my parents, my sister and her family, myself and my partner all under one roof for a week was just so fun and is something I will be looking forward to for years to come.
7) What 3 items would you take to a deserted island?
- A fishing rod, a fully loaded iPod and an umbrella to sit under.
8) What's the biggest challenge you've overcome in your business?
- Learning how to use social media was a surprisingly big step. I don't have any personal social media accounts, so learning everything from scratch was an interesting but rewarding journey. I've been able to meet and interact with so many people that I never would have encountered in my daily life, and that's such an amazing thing.
9) If you could road trip anywhere next weekend, where would you go and why?
- I'd drive from Toronto to Wallaceburg, Ontario to visit my family. I don't see them as often as I would like, but whenever I do, it's always wonderful.
We loved getting to know Adam a little more and hope you did too! To check out his full line of products, head to his website.