We’re excited to introduce you to Ana, the owner behind local Vancouver shop, La Monarch. La Monarch is a fashion brand focused on creating versatile and timeless women’s wear. Each style created is to be worn in different ways for multiple outfit results. We hope you enjoy getting to know her and her business a little more.
What does the perfect morning look like to you?
- An early but slow start – I love having time to do pilates, this is when I get inspired / ideas for my day tasks. I then get ready, make my breakfast and an iced coffee, I’m then ready to take on the day at a fast pace!
What’s your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- Being able to be hands on, I love being involved in every part of my business, from production meetings, to wrapping up online orders. I truly enjoy it all – well, not the accounting part, but thankfully I have someone taking care of that.
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- Milan, I try to go back there as often as possible, the city is full of inspiration and great memories for me, and from there I would go to any beach destination, Croatia, Maldives, or Phillipines are on my bucket list!
What 3 words best describe your business?
- Attention to detail, versatile, timeless.
What did you do before you started your business?
- I’ve always worked in the fashion industry, I started my career developing collections for many brands worldwide. I then moved to Milan, Italy where I got a Masters in Fashion Communication and P.R. Right upon graduating I got a job at Ports 1961 at the Milan HQ – I was in charge of developing the womenswear collections, this experience really sparked my entreprenuer spirit, having spent time working closely with the owner and Creative director of Ports, is how I learned the ins and outs of the business at a large scale.
What’s your proudest moment in your business so far?
- Everyday I’m proud of what we do, there’s always something to celebrate wether it’s big or small. But the latest would be the launch of the online store!
What makes you laugh the most?
- My sisters, they’re all very funny in their own way. (I have 3 sisters so I get a variety of comedy).
If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to and why?
- Any year during my childhood – I really enjoyed being close to my sisters and my parents, going to the park together, or going on long bike-rides.
What’s one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- My customer service. I always want my customers happy.
What’s the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- All our styles are meant to be worn to different parts of life, they’re very versatile and a style can change its look by easily buttoning or unbuttoning, one of our tops can even be worn back to front. The whole idea is for you to be able to go from the office straight to happy hour without having to go home and change. or from a walk in the park to a meeting, every piece is easy to style and dress up or down! I’m excited to see how our customers style La Monarch and hope they love their pieces for many years to come!
What’s the biggest challenge you’ve overcome in your business?
- Covid-19 !! And we haven’t overcome it yet. I know everyone is dealing with this as well, it’s just a problem/issue/situation no one has ever been prepared for. But I’m sure we will come out of this stronger, it’s just made me even more aware of how to problem solve, be resourceful and keep calm during a storm.