If you’re looking to support a Montreal business, you’re in the right place! We’re excited to introduce you to Sarah, the owner of Montreal pet accessory shop Mouse’s Closet. Mouse’s Closet offers trendy pet accessories launched in seasonal collections to keep your pets fashionable all year round. We asked Sarah a few questions about her journey as an entrepreneur so far and know you’re going to love all that she has to share. Enjoy!
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- Confidence. You need to be confident in your brand, confident in your products, confident that no matter the ups and downs you can get through it all. Confidence is key when you own a small business. Not everyone will agree or like what you do, but if you love what you do then no one can stop you!
What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- I communicate with my clients (or furfriends in the pet industry). I think it’s crucial to have a relationship, and sometimes even a friendship, with the people that are supporting your brand. They are your target audience so you need to learn and understand their needs, wants and desires.
What’s one book that’s contributed to your business success?
- In my case there was no book. Because I am an online brand, I used social media to get a lot of the tools I needed to create my business.
What is your favourite productivity tip?
- Write a list! Lists are so important and it’s so nice to cross out each item as you do them!
What inspired you to start your business?
- My cat, Mouse (yes that’s his name). He loved dressing up as a kitten. I am creative by nature so I just decided to create a few pieces of my own and family and friends loved them so I just decided to launch my business.
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- One thing I do every day is make my bed. It may sound simple but it’s nice to start the day with accomplishing one thing. It’s nice to check off the first item on my daily list.
How do you relax and recharge?
- Laying in bed and scrolling Instagram is honestly my favourite thing to do before bed. I know they say you shouldn’t be on your phone before bed but it honestly makes me feel like I get to accomplish one more thing before falling asleep and that’s communicating with my furfriends.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- Never give up and don’t take no for an answer. You will go through so many different emotions but as long as you keep pushing through, it will be worth it.
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- It’s hard. I have to admit that I do have some times where it gets so hard that I think about quitting but then I think of all those adorable photos I get from clients/furfriends and it makes everything worth it again.