Shop local in Nelson BC with Zapped Outfitters, a gender-neutral reflective clothing and accessories brand. We’re excited to introduce you to Scarlet, the owner behind Zapped Outfitters. We asked Scarlet a few questions about her life as an entrepreneur and know you’re going to love all that she has to share. Enjoy!
What would you say is the #1 thing it takes to be successful?
- I believe that HARD WORK always pays off … but getting over your fears of failure and believing in yourself is a very close second.
What’s one thing you do everyday that contributes to your success?
- Drinking good coffee? … I would say it’s maintaining a healthy schedule.
What’s one book that’s contributed to your business success?
- That’s a very hard question, there are little things from every book I have ever read that have offered ideas and clarified things. I can’t just pick one.
What inspired you to start your business?
- It was certainly a series of events that lead to it, but the first was coming up with a product idea that I didn’t see being done, then realizing I never wanted to regret not trying. As the idea was percolating, my husband was struck by lightning, and not only did that remind me to stop waiting, but the name of the brand was born.
Do you have a morning routine that you swear by? What is it and why does it contribute to your success?
- Yes, I believe routines are so important, especially as a working mom! I always start with good coffee and a healthy breakfast which I take time to enjoy. Then I take a walk or get some fresh air followed by stretching, breathing and 15 minute work-out. Before I start “working” I make a task list for the day.
Do you have a favourite business podcast? Why do you love it?
- I do love “how we built this” … it’s so interesting to hear all the stories of other entrepreneurs, their successes and failures. It’s inspiring and educational.
How do you relax and recharge?
- I always turn to nature and fresh air, and turn off my phone! I also love cooking and baking (and eating!) I also make sure to plan out adventures with my family and friends. Pre-Covid, I always looked forward to a tropical get-away if and when we could afford it. Hopefully, both business and this pandemic will once again allow tropical get-aways!
What advice would you give to someone just starting out in business?
- One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to trust my instinct. It’s also so important to really vet any hired help. I have found there are many people offering “expert” services and it’s easy to feel the relief of someone who “knows all the answers”. I don’t think there is any “easy answer” or single “key to success” and have confidence in how much you probably already know.
How do you maintain a positive mindset in business and life when those inevitable challenges arise?
- That is another tough question, and I can’t say my mind-set always remains positive. But what works best for me is to step back and see the big picture … think about all the things that have gone well and congratulate myself for getting this far. Celebrate the wins and try to pivot in a way based on what I have learned from the “losses”. I also look to friends, family, and business mentors for a little “pep talk”.
Thank you so much to Scarlet for sharing some of her business tips and general business advice. We hope you loved learning more about her and her business tips and strategies as much as we did.
To learn more about Zapped Outfitters, check out their website.