We’re excited to introduce you to Shannon, the owner behind Winnipeg business North and Nature, an online store offering photography prints, greeting cards and home décor that’s all inspired by Canadian landscapes. We hope you enjoy getting to know her and her business a little more!
What does your perfect morning look like?
- A perfect morning to me is getting up at 6am, grabbing a coffee and taking some amazing mountain sunrise photos when I travel out west.
What’s your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- I love being able to show my creative side and share my ideas with others.
If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- Always the Rocky Mountains as it’s my favourite spot but I would love to visit Switzerland one day.
What 3 words best describe your business?
- Rustic, natural and adventurous.
What did you do before you started your business?
- I worked in retail at a furniture store. I loved what I did but I’ve always wanted to own my own business and share my photography with others.
What’s your proudest moment in your business so far?
- I was featured in an art showcase last May- it so so exciting because I had to chance to interact with my customers and talk about my passion with them.
What’s your favourite family tradition?
- My favourite family tradition is going out to Whiteshell Provincial Park and hiking our favourite trail out there. We do it every summer.
What’s one of your biggest values when it comes to your business?
- Customer service. I want my customers experience to always be excellent.
If you could do anything for a day, what would it be?
- Definitely spend a day in the Rockies – it’s definitely my happy place.
What’s the biggest problem your business solves for people?
- The biggest problem my business solves is bringing in unique home décor pieces into peoples home especially for any nature lover.
What’s the biggest challenge you’ve overcome in your business?
- The biggest challenge has been standing out from similar competition. I have been able to build a brand that sticks out from the crowd.
If you could road trip anywhere next weekend, where would you go?
- Jasper, Alberta – my all time favourite spot. The beauty in Jasper is unlike anywhere else.
Aside from your business, what’s your biggest passion?
- I love photography, hiking, being outdoors, hockey and spending time with my family.
What’s one thing people might not know about you?
- I’m pretty good at drawing Japanese anime characters, something I taught myself when I was younger.
What makes you laugh the most?
- Definitely my husband and my young daughter. They both know how to make me laugh and smile.
Any embarrassing moments you’d like to share with us?
- I was out in Victoria, BC a few years ago when I first started my photography business. I decided to try driving a scooter and ended up crashing it into a curb in front of a group of people. That was definitely my most embarrassing moment.
What’s your favourite holiday and why?
- Christmas is my favourite holiday – I love watching my daughter open up her gifts and I love the warm fuzzy feeling in the air around Christmas.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- In 5 years I would love to have a retail space – either in Winnipeg or in Calgary. That is definitely the big goal I have set for myself.
When people shop from you, how does that impact you and your family?
- It allows me to spend more time with my family and help provide for them. I want to teach my daughter the importance of hard work and following your dreams – my customers allow me to do that.