We’re excited to introduce you to Canadian business owner Alauna, the owner of Alauna Whelan, based in Saskatoon, SK. She offers handcrafted ritual goods including intention candles, ritual mists, botanical bath soaks, and talisman jewelry.
We asked Alauna a few questions about her life as an entrepreneur and know you’re going to love all that she has to share. Enjoy!
Canadian Business Alauna Whelan
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE #1 THING IT TAKES TO BE SUCCESSFUL?
- Accepting that you will be uncomfortable much of the time! This means having the courage to have difficult conversations and being willing to advocate for yourself.
WHAT’S ONE THING YOU DO EVERYDAY THAT CONTRIBUTES TO YOUR SUCCESS?
- Getting up before the kids and giving myself an opportunity to gently sink into the day while sipping on delicious coffee from my favorite mug. This helps me to mentally prepare in solitude. It’s definitely my most ingrained and treasured ritual.
WHAT’S ONE BOOK THAT’S CONTRIBUTED TO YOUR BUSINESS SUCCESS?
- Anything by Brene Brown. She always reminds me to embrace my humanness and practice self-compassion.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PRODUCTIVITY TIP?
- Weekly to-do lists! I make sure to include both art and self-care on that list. Making a list weekly rather than daily allows for flexibility. Anything too structured never works out for me.
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START YOUR BUSINESS?
- It was a very organic evolution. I’m a PTSD survivor and had to resign from my lab position at a potash mine in 2011 because of the impacts of trauma. Creativity has played a crucial role in my overall health and healing. Many of the modalities I use in my trauma journey are woven into my products – essential oils, mindfulness, affirmations, an empowering talismans.
DO YOU HAVE A MORNING ROUTINE THAT YOU SWEAR BY? WHAT IS IT AND WHY DOES IT CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR SUCCESS?
- Coffee always. It really is the simple things that make the biggest impact. I buy good beans and use the same mug everyday. Having something that is predictable but also rooted in pleasure brings me a sense of comfort. We are a society fixated on productivity. Slow mornings give me a few moments to sit with my thoughts, mull over new ideas and dreams, and prepare for the day. It’s a radical act of mindfulness for me, which is imperative for my nervous system and living with PTSD.
DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE BUSINESS PODCAST? WHY DO YOU LOVE IT?
- I have two: Grow with Soul and Letters from a Hopeful Creative. I love these podcasts because they are calm and encouraging. I gravitate towards podcasts that offer gentle encouragement rather than the over-the-top 0 to 6 figures in 3 months. Hearing real life examples makes these podcasts relatable, while also offering good advice to mull over and integrate.
HOW DO YOU RELAX AND RECHARGE?
- Walks in nature, evening baths, meditation, reading, time with family and friends. In the summer we are fortunate to have a cabin in the family. My kids are the fourth generation to enjoy summers at the lake.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE JUST STARTING OUT IN BUSINESS?
- Patience is key. Building a business is a slow process. It takes SO much longer than we think it will, whether it’s product development, marketing, or sales.
HOW DO YOU MAINTAIN A POSITIVE MINDSET IN BUSINESS AND LIFE WHEN THOSE INEVITABLE CHALLENGES ARISE?
- Community! Entrepreneurship is lonely and challenging, having a few confidante’s that understand self-employment is imperative. I’m a proud member of Women’s Entrepreneurs of Saskatchewan. I meet with my business advisor regularly and belong to a small peer on peer mentorship group. I’m also fortunate to have an amazing mentor that offers guidance and reassurance along the way.
Thank you so much to Alauna for sharing some of her greatest success tips and general business advice. What an inspiration for us all!
To learn more about her business and her line of luxury ritual goods, check out her website.
If you’d like to discover more Canadian business owners and business-related blog posts, view the full blog series here.