We’re excited to introduce you to Sophie, the owner of Sofs Designs a do-it-yourself 3D papercraft (& more!) company based in Saint Lazare, QC. Enjoy!
1) What does the perfect morning look like to you?
- On weekends I love to be able to get up when I want to and normally that ends up being 9:30 ish. I have two teens that get up after me now. I love when they are in the house even if they are sleeping. I love a quiet house with a hot coffee in hand. Even better when the coffee is made for me, that’s the best!
2) What’s your favourite thing about owning a small business?
- I can follow my own creative rhythm and be free to do things the way I want. Plus I don’t have to explain my choices or decisions to anyone. I can be authentic and work as hard as I please with my own hours. That said, I also love to interact and collaborate with like minded people. I get to meet really smart, strong and resourceful individuals that are also exactly what they want. There is lots of freedom, motivation and innovation in this mix.
3) What did you do before you started your business?
- In my early life, I was an alpine ski racer that went down ski hills at 120 km/h. Then I was a university student and had plenty of fun which is probably why it lasted quite a while! I paid for my studies by planting trees and also thinning young forests. I did that for 8 years and when I was done my studies I used the money to travel in the winter months. I finally got out of the forest, landed a job as a University recruitment and admissions officer. I travelled in my province to meet prospective students. I did that for approximately 16 years. In all of these different work or life experiences I never felt quite at the right place until now. Sofs Designs is what I want to do when I grow up!! ( I am near 50 years old so it just goes to show that it’s never too late!)
4) What’s your proudest moment in your business so far?
- I started Sofs Designs in 2008. For a long time it was a part-time thing and in 2018 I jumped both feet in!
5) What’s your favourite holiday and why?
- Summer time because I get to spend as much time as possible with my kids and husband. Also because I get to make stuff outdoors. I bring everything outside, sewing machine, scroll saw, printer, die cutter, you name it….I love it.
6) When people shop from you, how does that impact you and your family?
- When I get an order my phone has a specific sound that plays so my family and I all do a little dance when we hear it. Personally I get so excited when I hear that sound, it just doesn’t get old. I think of the person and thank them in my head. I imagine the fun that whatever they bought will bring and it really makes me happy to think of them happy.
7) Aside from your business, what’s your biggest passion?
- My kids for sure.
8) If you could road trip anywhere next weekend, where would you go and why?
- I would probably just hop in my car with my daughters and start playing (blasting) music as loud as it will go and just get lost in the moment. I would head west and only stop for junk food and gas. I would listen to her sing, and once in a while we would stop the music and have really deep and introspective discussion about life. Not sure where we would end up but we would spend the night and turn around the next day and do it all over again!